Saturday 1 January 2011

Obsessed By Death

The Sun's front page today was 'Obsessed By Death' about a murder suspect who has an unhealthy obsession with death. Apart from the argument over whether it should be 'obsessed with' rather than 'obsessed by', there's an interesting point.
The Sun covered this story over three pages. There was also a page on a hubby who died of swine flu and a full page on everyone who died in 2010. Roughly 17 per cent of the paper's news editorial was about death. And most other papers have the same. So who's obsessed?
----------------------------------------------------
In a TV advert for California tourism, Kim Kardashian - so that's what she does for a living - says: "All your misconceptions are wrong."
But isn't that the definition of a misconception in the first place? Surely our misconceptions are right. That's why they're misconceptions.
I have this misconception that people are murdering the English language. But I'm obsessed with literary death I suppose.
-----------------------------------------------------
I'm not sure which was more fun. Watching a collection of Cougars dancing in the restaurant where I saw in the New Year and then trying it on with the DJ and various young waiters, or watching the girls trying to get into the nightclub across the road, being refused and then tottering off in the cold night air in possibly the shortest skirts I've ever seen. And then remembering I have a daughter that age.
------------------------------------------------------
No resolutions. A year ago, on Christmas rather than New Year's Eve, I gave up smoking and apart from a few social indiscretions since, I've pretty much kept to it. I reckon this means I'm not a complete non-smoker yet but I'm almost an ex-smoker. If that makes sense.
I will endeavour to blog as often as possible as long as there is still someone out there reading it and I may even try a few new things though I've managed to go this far in my life without attempting to ski, folk dance or go to a rugby match and I see no reason to start now. However, I do fancy having a go at the piano accordian.
Have a great 2011 everyone...Solly

No comments:

Post a Comment