Thursday 27 January 2011

The Milky Bar Yid

Because I'm old enough to get annoyed about these things....the new advert for Milky Bar has people recreating the famous old jingle. You know, the one that goes 'the creamiest milk' etc and ends with the line 'Nestles Milky Bar'. And Nestles is pronounced as it is written or, if you prefer, nessels.
Except today that's not good enough. Oh no. This time there's four blokes singing 'Nes-lay's Milky Bar.'
Neslay? I know it's the proper way to pronounce it but we've been pronouncing it wrong for years and it's been good enough for millions of us. And it just sounds so very wrong.
What next? Will Faust become a play about a man who wrestlays with his conscience? Next time I go camping will I have a picnic on a treslay table?
As a pointless protest that will make no difference at all to anyone or anything, I am not prepared to buy Milky Bars any more. So there. Instead I'm going to only eat Marathons, Opal Fruits and Treets.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
Am I the only one cynical enough to think that Tessa Jowell has filed a complaint about her phones being hacked because no one has mentioned her at all for at least two years?
I have a vague recollection that when I was a kid, she was my GLC councillor but I could be wrong.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
Some former pupils have set up a Facebook page dedicated to those of us who left my old primary school - Ilford Jewish - during the mid-70s.
Interestingly a few have commented on how wonderful they thought it was and how good an education we received. So much so that many have sent their kids there.
Personally I think it helped teach me something that has had a massive bearing on my life and that is, there is no God. It's wonderful how a religious education can open your eyes to how ridiculous much of it really is.
Many also recollect - and seem to do so with some affection - how teachers would hit us with rulers, shake us up and down or carry out other physical punishments. We were aged 7-11 at that time. I can recall a couple of wonderful teachers who made a difference to my education. Like Shirley Rudie and Harry Balkin who saw potential in me that others may not have. But I also remember a couple of others that I hated. No amount of rosy recollection will make me now look at them differently just because a few decades have passed. Don't get me wrong, it wasn't abuse like you get in some religions. Jewish choirboys don't have much to fear for instance. But looking back, it wouldn't be allowed today. And rightly so.
What I enjoyed about that school is that it did teach me something about Judaism - which, despite my atheism, will forever cling to me like a Mr Byrite suit - and about my history and ethnicity. And I formed friendships which still last to this day and, I hope, will last forever.
-------------------------------------------------------------
Speaking of Jewish...I hate Seinfeld but love Curb Your Enthusiasm. I'm only halfway through the box set of the latter and now it's going to be shown, from series one, on that new Sky Atlantic channel. Good for them. For years this wonderful series has been wasted in various graveyard slots on Channel 4 and its spin-offs. It will be nice to see it - and indeed The Sopranos - on at the same time, every week and, hopefully, not after midnight.
Shalom - Solly

2 comments:

  1. Do you know what evils Nestle perpetrate in order to purvey such a bland chocolate. Still it’s that or Cadburys , (Kraft) ...There lies my dilemma right I mean contributing to America with every bite. After feasting on Kelloggs and Heinz they really have got it sown up from our morning cereal to wrapping the baby in a Pampers at night , anyway I wont even go into Procter and Gamble don’t get me started on that.

    Hey Solly, never say never that’s what I say , regardless of how ridiculous organised religion seems to be, and how it can and has perverted our judgement opn the potential of the big beardy geezer in the sky, I have come to the conclusion … Why let them beat the concept of a God out of you!! I mean what have you got to lose. Just like they cant prove there is a God , you cant prove there isn’t. Given this theory leads me to conclude; why not give the almighty who ever he maybe a chance. One thing I will agree though , there isn’t a Jewish, Muslim, Christian ETC God. That would be rather silly frankly. But there might be a God. Its called hedging your bets.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Phil - good points. It's hard to avoid big business no matter how hard you try. As for God, Christopher Hitchens made a good argument; If you just hedge your bets and there really is a God then he's going to know you are not a true believer but just someone playing safe so you won't get into heaven anyway!

    ReplyDelete