Sunday 16 January 2011

I'll risk it for a Swisskit

I once mentioned the fact that I still put chopsticks up my nose in Chinese restaurants and pretend to be a walrus and shout 'woo hoo' when the TV announcer says 'the following may contain scenes of sex, violence and bad language.'
I was reassured to receive messages from friends - albeit of a similar vintage - to say that they do exactly the same.
So here's a couple more. How many of you still can't say 'I'll risk it' without adding 'for a Swisskit?' Anyone under 30 may struggle with this but some things stay with you for life.
It's like all those growing up saying lovely jubbly which, thanks to Dave, keeps adding new generations.
The other, which is childish and immature I know, is to break wind and then pretend the noise is from a fly in the room.
I know there are more examples out there, I'd love to hear them.
It is so we can all continue to ignore anyone who tells us to 'grow up.'
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
There's a very dishy woman who plays the hero's legover in the TV detective series Zen. Apparently she came third in a Miss Italy contest which begs the question....what on earth did the top two look like?
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
My daughter, 14, and I saw an extraordinary film last night. It was long - about two and a half hours - was in black and white, made in the 1950s and called Ikiru, which is Japanese for living. Oh yeah, it was in Japanese.
It was about a very boring civil servant who finds out he has six months to live and ends up building a children's playground because he wants to do something for someone before he dies.
Doesn't sound like a barrel of laughs but it was brilliant. And the central theme, of a man with a deadend job - literally in this case - who only comes alive when he discovers he's dying, will resonate with a lot of people.
But more than that my daughter loved it. Really, really loved it. And so, perhaps most importantly of all, I think I have found something to do with her than no one else in the family wants to do. It's called bonding and it's wonderful.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I haven't seen the film but I reckon Colin Firth is probably a racing certainty for a best actor Oscar. Why? Because he's playing a real person. The Oscars love people doing impressions as much as they like people who act. Marion Cotillard as Edith Piaf and Helen Mirren as The Queen. Sean Penn as Harvey Milk and actors playing Truman Capote, Ray Charles and even Idi Amin have all won in recent years.
That's not to put these brilliant actors down but it does seem easier to win an award if the person you're playing is based on a real person.
And while we're at it, why have a best actor and best actress. Surely they should mix them all together and have a best actor that could be male or female?
I'd like to thank all those who made this possible...xx Solly

No comments:

Post a Comment