Friday 31 December 2010

2011Y Blog...

Men like making lists. It's because we're all nerds with a deep seated OCD. In fact there's probably a top ten reasons why men liking lists. But I can't be bothered. So here are the ten things from 2010 that I just don't get:
1.Dance acts. Diversity et al. And it's not just them. I don't get the enduring popularity of Riverdance either.
2.Chat shows for anyone who appears in Gavin and Stacey. Rob Brydon, James Corden and Ruth Bloody Jones for crying out loud.
3.Louie Spence. A one trick pony who is just too desperate to be noticed.
4.Vince Cable. Remember how everyone used to think he was sooo clever in opposition but now think he's a dickhead.
5.Perfume ads. Nope, me neither. Haven't got a clue what they're all about. Apart from Lynx.
6.Downton Abbey. And Lark Rise to Candleford. And the remake of Upstairs Downstairs.
7.24. Lost. Prison Breakout. Pretty much anything that demands you have to watch every week for half the year just to see what's going on. (Note: Mad Men has half as many episodes.)
8.The Tea Party. Why is being racist and religious suddenly seen as 'a good thing'.
9.North Cornwall. All that Kensington-on-sea and Rick Stein imperialism. South Cornwall is so much cooler.
10.The England football team.
And what was good? Well, in my opinion, Mad Men and The Trip showed there is more to TV than reality shows. Toy Story 3 is the best sequel since Weekend at Bernie's II, Gareth Bale can have my children, cricket is cool again and quite right too, bands who play their own instruments are still there and trying their hardest and good luck to them, Costa Coffee's Flat White is delicious, Wikileaks, and having people say nice things about my blogs. Thank you once again.
-------------------------------------
I have a small obsession (can you have a small obsession?) with bridges. I love them. Not as much as that bloke a few years ago who was arrested for trying to have sex with a pavement. But the hairs on the back of my neck bristle when I see a particularly wonderful feat of bridge building. In February I am going to Segovia where there is a fabulous viaduct. My daughter bought me a book of the world's greatest bridges and I am now determined to see them all. Any suggestions gratefully received.
--------------------------------------
Went to the funeral of my mate's mum yesterday. It was a Jewish affair with a rabbi who speaks like Jackie Mason and a bleak, miserable graveyard with familiar names all around. You can tell a Jewish mourner. When you say 'how are you?' they answer 'what's the point of complaining.'
--------------------------------------
I know it's never going to happen but I will put it on the record now that if I was to ever be offered an honour, from OBE to Knighthood to being made a Dame, then I would have no hesitation in refusing. And I have no respect for all these former rebels who accept a gong the moment they are offered one. Katherine Hamnett.
----------------------------------------------------------
The boiler keeps packing up, the dog spent yesterday being sick and someone (possibly Chinese) has hacked into my iTunes account and spent my £15 credit on some game downloads (in Chinese). Happy New Year everyone....Solly

No comments:

Post a Comment