Saturday 18 December 2010

The Solly and the Ivy

The old boiler's not working well at the moment. But she's good with the kids (with apologies to Tommy Cooper).
-----------------------------------------
And if that wasn't enough, it's snowing. It wasn't snowing when I dropped my daughter Naomi off but when I went to pick her up again it was a blizzard. Opening the boot of the car in poor visibility I banged my head on the rim and, I later discovered, had cut it quite badly.
Got to the end of our road, which is on a steep hill, and couldn't drive up it so dumped the car and Naomi and I walked up the hill, me dripping blood and carry a saxophone and three carrier bags.
In the car, she kindly looked up NHS Direct's advice on head injuries which said - and I paraphrase - if you're not unconscious, you should be all right.
However, I have so far managed to use the excuse of a dodgy bonce to avoid writing Christmas cards and make the dinner.
So I've decided to have a quiet night in, do my blog and finish off a bottle of Bailey's. Well it is Christmas.
-----------------------------------------
Having a sore head was not enough to get me out of walking the dog and what a bonus. I do believe that today, for one day only perhaps, Epping Forest could be the most beautiful place in the world.
It was one of those days when people were going into the forest just to see what it looked like. Lovely.
-----------------------------------------
The papers spent all week going on about how this weekend was going to be the busiest day for retail in years but they also spent all week going on about how the weather this weekend was going to be the worst in years. It doesn't take a genius to work out that you can't have both.
Brent Cross closed at 1pm today on what should have been one of its best days of the year. In Loughton, locally to me, there was the added problem of a power cut in the high street so the stores all closed.
The place was so quiet that the tanning salons had less than a 20 minute wait - well you can't go through Christmas without a bit of orange.
Ho ho snow...Solly

1 comment:

  1. A perfect excuse to stay in. And what with The Guns of Navarone, Dad's Army and Blackadder, plus a dram (not Bailey's), all's well with the world. Apart from your head, of course.

    ReplyDelete