Tuesday 15 February 2011

Love is...never having to say you're Solly

I always thought if I ever made a bit of money I'd hire a room at The Dorchester, a couple of call girls and a few grams of coke. But let's me honest, it's more likely to be the Travelodge, a dirty mag and a Diet Coke.
That's what Valentine's Day does to your mind when you get to a certain age. Romantic? No, this year was a night watching middle child performing in a school concert.
And I wouldn't have it any other way. I can't have it any other way. Not with my back.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Tomorrow night my year of culture sees me going to see Parsifal, a very long opera by Wagner that - if I was a character in Curb Your Enthusiasm - would leave me open to accusations of being a self hating Jew. (Do try and see that episode when it's repeated on Sky Atlantic, it's excrutiatingly delicious).
Those who look closely for such things reckon this tale of Christ and dark forces is the most anti-semitic thing Wagner did and there are various tales that he did not want a conductor called Levi to oversee early performances though he relented.
Personally, I don't care. Wagner probably had some unsavoury views at a time when a lot of people were unenlightened. I don't think his music is anti-semitic. It is unfortunate that Hitler decided to adopt it as 'our song' for the Nazis. But he was also a vegetarian dog lover, as am I, and it hasn't made me into a Nazi, nor any of the other folk I meet when I'm walking Goebbels in Epping Forest.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
According to some PR blogs I've been reading recently, it seems the industry is quick to condemn the use of jargon though slow to actually stop using it themselves.
Blue sky thinking and kick it into the long grass are now old hat. New ones I've heard include 'a soup to nuts solution' which is hilarious. Though 'raping the natives' is perhaps too unPC even for this industry.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
When you spend most of your life helping PR companies you lose sight of the fact that, perhaps, sometimes you don't do a very good job of PR-ing yourself. So over the next week or so we'll be sending out a little flier to all our friends in the world of PR telling them how wonderful our agency is. As I'm in a PR mood I may ring you up three times to see if you got it, opening the conversation with 'hi, how was your weekend'. Or I may just get my most junior member of staff to do it.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
According to the papers, the Elle Magazine awards gave a gong to Cheryl Cole for her contribution to music. And they say satire is dead.
Auf wiedersehen pets...Solly

No comments:

Post a Comment